Shake off the Humbugs
Remember when I had this great idea to write a weekly recap of awesome things and then never did it again? Yeah. I need one of those again, especially after spending my lunch hour in Back Bay doing some Christmas shopping. And by shopping I mean wanting to get really nice gifts and not being able to afford them. NJS and I had a lean year, especially with the recent Citizens debacle and the move, so we agreed to send a handful of handmade cards instead of gifts. I don’t think anyone I know and love will be upset by this, but for some reason I am. I’m crazy bummed out after being overwhelmed by present possibilities out there in the world. Time to make a top 5 list of good things that happened this week. What are your top 5?
1. No more class! Finished with my master’s, finished with my class at Harvard – DONE. You can’t imagine what a relief it is to not have hanging over you a constant sense of “I should be reading / writing a paper / in class.”
2. Good dinners. So far this week I’ve made curried sweet potato soup, stuffed peppers, and I have all the goods to make a big pot of chili to enjoy during the upcoming snow storm. I don’t really have a recipe for the soup, but here’s what I did:
3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 can chicken broth
1 can light coconut milk
2 heaping teaspoons thai curry paste
about a teaspoon of dried ginger
1/4 yellow onion, chopped
3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
Saute onion in a little olive oil until slightly clear. Add carrots and sweet potatoes for about a minute, then add chicken broth, curry, and ginger. Boil until potatoes are mushy. Add coconut milk while blending until smooth. You can use an immersion blender if your friend Dale got you one for Christmas, or if it’s before Christmas you can blend it in a regular blender in batches. Add more curry or ginger to taste, or scarf it down as is like NJS and I did.
3. Migraine medicine. I’ve never had a migraine as intense or long-lasting (sounds like a gum, doesn’t it?) as I did earlier this week, so the doctor prescribed migraine-specific meds. I can’t tell you how relieving it was to have the stabbing pain in my face go away.
4. Plans to grab a glass of wine and maybe some snacks at Ivy tonight after running a million more errands.
5. A great event at work. In case you missed it, my friend Tina did a pretty good recap. My friend Sarah was there, taking incredible photos as always. Funny to see how much NJS and I have changed in just a few months in front of her lens.